Parade Security Team Information
Last Updated: April 22, 2018
You will spend your time split between two locations in downtown Lowell. Here is some helpful information for each location:
Your main job will be on the parade security team to help us ensure the Parade moves safely from the Lowell National Historical Park to its final destination at UTEC Lowell. Please read these instructions thoroughly, and respond to any questions as needed.
The most important thing to remember is you will be walking and you will be outside. Please dress to walk and to be outside for an extended period of time.
For those with vehicles there are two options for parking. Parking near UTEC is suggested, because it is your start and end point.
- A paid option is available in the Lower Locks Garage across the street from UTEC
- On Sundays, street parking is free in metered spaces in the City of Lowell. There are typically plenty of available metered spots near UTEC on Sunday afternoons but parking cannot be guaranteed.
Your Volunteer Schedule
- 11 am - Check-in & gather at UTEC.
- 11:15 am - Run through a training of how to get people and handicap individuals into the facility and understand how traffic will flow at the end of the parade. Instructions on how to guide the parade are provided as well.
- 11:30 am - Get directed to the Lowell National Historical Park Visitor’s Center, no later than 11:50, to report to the parade organizers for your security assignment.
- 11:50 am – You will follow their instructions and they will explain everything they need again. After your security work is over you will end up at UTEC with the parade.
- 12:45 pm – Upon arriving at UTEC you will be responsible for guiding the parade crowds into the festival using the building entrances we identified before you walked to the parade. Look for handicap individuals and strollers, focus on getting them in safely.
- 1:15 pm – Once the majority of traffic has died down (no earlier than 1:15) you should check out with me.
You can use the remaining time in your volunteer block to check out the festival and network with individuals in the room.
Parade Security Details
On the day of the event you will be handed a physical map outlining your posts. Here is a Google Map to the Parade Route with Waypoints at the primary intersections we will assign individuals to monitor. All maps are oriented North. The primary intersections and tasks at each intersection are:
NE Corner of Market/Shattuck : Block westbound traffic on Market. Police Support.
Middle St. at Shattuck : Block traffic from Middle St.
Middle of intersection at Merrimack/Shattuck : Block Traffic westbound on Merrimack from turning onto Shattuck. Direct parade onto Eastbound Merrimack inside the double yellow street lines; be aware that Police may not be present, in which case block Eastbound traffic on Merrimack. Police Support.
Merrimack/Palmer: Block traffic from Northbound Palmer.
Middle of intersection at Merrimack/John. Block traffic from Southbound John St.; keep paraders inside the double yellow street lines.
Middle of intersection Merrimack St. at Central; direct parade onto Southbound Central; keep paraders inside double yellow lines; be aware that Police may not be present, in which case block Westbound traffic on Merrimack from turning onto Southbound Central St. Police Support.
SW corner of Central/Market ; block Eastbound traffic on Market.
SW corner of Central/Hurd; direct parade onto Eastbound Hurd; be aware that Police may not be present, in which case block traffic on Northbound Central St. Police Support.