Lowell Earth Day Celebration 2016
The month of April, Lowell becomes a city-wide, celebration of the arts, nature and sustainability!
Many organizations or institutions sporadically host individual Earth Day events in Lowell and surrounding communities. In late 2014, UMass Lowell led an exploration of opportunities for collaboration with a wide variety of community organizations and UMass Lowell faculty, students and staff to create a month-long calendar of events for April 2015. Some 40 organizations are staging events to celebrate Lowell’s sustainability in all of its aspects – environmental, artistic and cultural.
We have a number of events during the month of April you can view on our calendar.
Defining events for Lowell Earth Day in 2016 include:
- Opening Kick-Off Reception on April 7.
- Educational events with public talks and workshops.
- Clean up days in various neighborhoods of Lowell.
- Group walks that illuminate environmental, historic, artistic, and cultural aspects of Lowell
- Puppet-making workshops for schools and community groups that help children learn about science and environmental issues. The puppets will play a prominent role in the Earth Day parade on April 23.
- An Earth Day Parade in downtown Lowell on April 23 showcasing art, music and dance by Lowell’s youth and a diverse network of nonprofits.
- An Earth Day Festival following the parade on April 23, with information and demonstrations on sustainability issues. The festival will hum along to live music and include activities for children and adults alike.